Constipation is a widespread phenomenon in today’s modern world and has many causes. Some of the most common constipation causes are a result of modern day life: the drugs and medicines we use to treat illnesses, the stress we experience in our work place, on the road, in school and at home, and more. Since there are many different kinds of constipation treatments, choosing the right one must involve first understanding the possible constipation causes.
There are many possible constipation causes: unbalanced diet, lack of exercise, extensive stress, medications and more:
• Medications – different medications are a large part of the constipation causes list: pain killers such as codeine or oxycodone, antidepressants such as imipramine or amitriptylene, opiate analgesics, anticholinergics and more
• Iron food supplements – This is one of the least known constipation causes. Many people, who are suffering from a lack of iron, use iron food supplements. One of the most common side effects of these supplements is constipation
• Delaying bowel movement – when stool remains in the body, the body absorbs the water it contains, and the result is harder stool which is more difficult to pass, also – ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement can result in not feeling the urge. These are 2 constipation causes, that are often intertwined
• Overuse of laxatives – there are a couple of constipation causes related to the overuse of laxatives: laxatives can cause the weakening of the colon’s muscles, dry-out of the colon lining and damage to the colon’s nerves
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – IBS causes ineffective contractions of the colon’s muscles. These ineffective contractions and spasms are relatively uncommon constipation causes
• Pregnancy in advanced stages – the hormone progesterone, which slows digestion and the pressure that a growing uterus in applying to the rectum are both common pregnancy constipation causes
• Traveling to different time zones and climate regions – changes in the outer environment are translated into constipation causes: different foods, jet leg and different temperatures
• Hormonal disorders – hormonal changes that are related to hormonal disorders such as hypothyroidism or to a woman’s menstrual cycle are very likely to be constipation causes
• Diseases – diseases that affect the digestive or the nerve system such as certain metabolic, neurological or systemic disorders
• Unbalanced diet – one of the most prominent constipation causes are diets that include large doses of processed foods, such as white rice and white sugar
• Dehydration or insufficient liquid intake – liquids soften and make the stool bulkier, which makes it easier to pass through the digestive system
• Lack of exercise – exercise, especially of the aerobic type, moves the muscles, which in turn promotes bowel movement
Different constipation causes require different constipation cures, so it’s important to know the cause first.